Re: about the former GW connect.

Doug Lee

Summary of the somewhat technical info I'm about to present: The reason GW Connect and other such efforts are failing is that Microsoft has
discontinued support of the interfaces they require, and without offering suitable replacements as far as I know. In other words, the
problem is not lack of effort to create or update such programs, but rather a literal inability to do so.

The technical explanation:

Before Skype was taken over by Microsoft, the Skype program offered two Application Program Interfaces, or APIs.

The first one was called the Skype Desktop API and dates years back. This is the API I used to write Clisk
(http://www.dlee.org/skype/clisk/), which still works today even if marginally. This API allowed a program to work with the running instance
of Skype itself. SkypeTalking is another example of a program that used this API.

The second API, offered years later, was the Skype Kit. This is the API used by GW Connect and, I believe, an offering by the people who did
SAMNet. This API made it possible to write a complete Skype program replacement, rather than using the existing Skype client.

I believe one or both APIs were starting to lose official support even before Microsoft took over Skype. Either way though, by now both are
officially no longer supported. The Desktop API works marginally with Skype for Windows Desktop and Skype for Mac; not sure about Skype for
Linux. Skype UWP, the Skype that comes bundled with Windows 10, has absolutely no support for the Desktop API.

Since the Skype Kit API works directly with the Skype network rather than with a specific client, its ability to function is determined by
how the Skype network responds to programs that try to use it. I understand that people have been finding ways around various problems with
using this API for quite a while now; but like Clisk and other Desktop API programs, programs dependent on this API are destined eventually
to fail completely.

Microsoft has offered a very minimal API since the two I mentioned: Skype URIs. This API is very limited in scope, only allowing programs to
initiate events like outgoing calls. There is no support for events, meaning that a program using this API alone has no way, for example, to
accept or even be aware of an incoming call or chat message.

I did research on this problem maybe a year ago and saw some evidence that Microsoft might eventually provide a much richer API based on
offerings currently available for Office programs. However, I am neither certain of my interpretation of what I read nor certain that this
will, at any near time, help us again become able to write programs like we once did against the two original APIs.

I hope this information is helpful.

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 09:49:37PM -0400, Joseph Machise wrote:
Sarah maybe someone will make another program like GW