Re: latest skype update

Doug Lee

Skype for Windows 10 will now also run on Windows 7. This surprised me and concerns me a bit since I thought Skype Desktop would continue to
work until Windows 7 support ends. Now I'm not sure what the future holds for these two Skypes.

Currently though, Skype Desktop does still run on Windows 10. You have to download it just like for Windows 7, whereas Skype for Windows 10
comes bundled with Windows 10 itself now.

I hope this clears up your questions.

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 11:46:52AM +0200, Clare Page wrote:
Hi!
I'm a bit confused after reading this thread, and maybe I've misunderstood
it, so I have comments to make and a question to ask.
I thought the only Skype which works in Windows 7 was Skype desktop. This is
the first time I've heard that Skype for Windows 10 might also work on
Windows 7. Or have I totally misunderstood what was said? Will Skype Desktop
disappear when support for Windows 7 ends, or before that?
I still use Skype Desktop, and I plan to continue to do so as long as this
Windows 7 computer lasts. I might have to change when I get a Windows 10 PC,
but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Talking of which, do I understand right that you can't use Skype Desktop on
Windows 10? Or does the Windows 10 Skype simply become the default on that
Windows version?
Thanks in advance for anyone who can clear up this confusion. I hope to keep
Skype Desktop going here as long as I can, maybe on Windows 10 if that's
possible, but it'll be useful to know how things stand as far as the
continued existence of Skype Desktop goes.
Bye for now, and happy skyping, whichever version you use!
From Clare